Constipation may not be considered a ‘chronic’ condition, but for those who have experienced it or suffer regularly, the discomfort and interference it causes can be almost as frustrating. Our modern diet, reliance on processed and/or inflammatory foods, stress levels and lack of gentle movement can all contribute to sluggish bowel movements. While constipation is often treated by an over the counter laxative or stool softener, Ayurveda takes a closer look at the condition to identify the root cause and promote real, long term relief and healing.
As with many health conditions, the Ayurvedic tradition sees constipation as another example of a build up of toxins leading to imbalance within the body. In the case of this ailment, toxicity may take place in the soft tissue and channels of elimination, causing poor muscle motility and the inability to pass regular stools. Continuing constipation is not only highly uncomfortable but may lead to a myriad of chronic diseases.
The primary culprits for this build up and eventual imbalance include:
- Processed and other unhealthy foods
- Poor lifestyle choices (continual high levels of stress, poor sleeping habits, lack of gentle exercise)
- Destabilised nervous system
- Suppression of the bodies ability to heal
To effectively treat and eliminate constipation, you will work closely alongside one of our Ayurvedic doctors to diagnose exactly what is happening within your body. A variety of tools are utilised to form a thorough diagnosis, which then informs treatment. The treatment protocol will focus on:
- Removing the build up of toxins within the body
- Improving digestion and eliminative function
- Lowering stress levels and supporting the nervous system
- Strengthening the bodies ability to heal
This four-pronged approach works beyond the surface to completely overhaul your health and well-being at a deeper level and may also involve:
- Lifestyle modification
- Prescription of kitchen and medicinal herbal medicines
- Instruction in gentle yoga postures and breathing exercises
- Prescription of Ayurvedic rejuvenating massage and detoxing treatments
To find out more about our Ayurvedic Doctor consults click here.
For more information about how Ayurveda can assist in creating optimum health and well-being, click here.