ALLERGIES – THE ULTIMATE SECRET
Wondering what causes allergies and if there is a cure? What exactly are allergies or seasonal allergies? Why do we have them at some points in our lives and not at others? Why is it that one person can gleefully play with their dogs for hours on end, while others can’t get within 200 meters of a puppy without developing itchy eyes and a fit of sneezing and coughing?
Understanding allergies: What they are and how they affect the body?
Allergy is the disorder of the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a hyper sensitive immune system reacts to a common or unusual substance. Allergies simply hypersensitivity to certain stimuli like drugs, foods, environmental factors etc. Allergies usually occur when the immune system of our body stops reacting to any foreign body. People with low immunity are prone to various types of allergies like skin allergy, dairy allergy, gluten allergy, seasonal allergies etc. The immune system of our body produces antibodies, which protect us from foreign invaders that may cause allergic reactions.
Some primary causes of allergies, according to Ayurveda, are genetics, weak agni or digestive fire, a person’s state of vikruti or imbalance and/or the presence of ama (toxins) , undigested or poorly digested food that turns toxic and interferes with processes in the body. The ama (toxins) travels inside the body via the circulatory system and gets lodged in the respiratory tissue, skin and other sensitive tissues. The principle of Ayurveda is to eradicate the root of the problem, rather than just address the symptoms.
Symptoms of allergies vary from person to person based on which dosha is aggravated. By understanding your dosha type, you can better understand how to manage your allergies:
VATA TYPE ALLERGIES- Vata type of allergies can include symptoms of constriction like wheezing, headache, sneezing, ringing in the ears, joint pain, muscle twitching etc.
PITTA TYPE ALLERGIES- Pitta type of allergies usually occur when the hot, sharp qualities of an allergen come in contact with the skin and then subsequently enter the bloodstream. Pitta type allergies are therefore often skin based reactions like hives, skin allergy rash, itchy skin allergies, allergic dermatitis, eczema etc.
KAPHA TYPE ALLERGIES- Kapha-type allergies are most likely to worsen during the spring season because of the onslaught of pollen-based allergens. Kapha allergy symptoms include irritation of the mucus membrane, hay fever, cold, congestion, cough, sinus infection, asthma etc.
Lifestyle changes and tips for managing allergies:
Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to managing allergies, by focusing on strengthening the immune system.
- Avoid the allergen- As obvious as it may seem, avoiding exposure to a particular allergen can give your body an important rest from the over-active immune response at the root of your allergy.
- Eat warm, cooked foods – Support your digestion by eating with mindfulness. Eating warm, cooked foods helps give the digestive fire a chance to rest and recharge.
- Practice nasya- Nasya is a practice of applying herbal oil to the nasal passage to soothe these delicate tissues, promote unobstructed breathing by providing an important barrier against potentially disturbing allergens. Dab a little bit of sesame oil in each nostril.
- Develop a daily pranayama routine- It is the practice of working with the breath to affect both gross and subtle aspects of mind-body. It helps unwind the cycle of chronic stress that can trigger allergies.
- Do a panchakarma detox, which helps in strengthening the digestive fire or agni. This is one of the quickest and effective way to remove toxins from the body and enhances your immune system.
- Follow a dosha- pacifying diet- This may vary depending on the dosha most prominently at play in your allergic response. Consult our Ayurvedic allergy specialists to understand which dosha is responsible for your allergies and exactly what kind of diet should be followed to pacify the aggravated doshas.
- Exercise daily for 30 minutes to help stimulate agni (digestive fire) and eliminate ama.
For a more tailored approach to treat your allergies and strengthen your immune system call the Ayurvedic Wellness Centre, Sydney and book an appointment with our highly experienced, allergy specialists ayurveda doctors.
For more information about how Ayurveda can assist in creating optimum health and well-being, click here.