It is estimated that in Australia today, over 1 million adults suffer from depression and/or anxiety. That staggering figure has been attributed to a variety of factors many of which are linked to our modern day, highly stressful lifestyles.
Those who suffer depression or anxiety can attest to the impact it can have upon everyday life and overall health and wellness. Whether mild or severe, mental health conditions can be very distressing for the sufferer and notoriously difficult to treat.
In Ayurvedic tradition, depression and/or anxiety is linked to an imbalance within the bodies’ delicate biochemistry. According to Ayurveda, mental health concerns develop when one of the primary doshas is out of balance (you can read more about the three doshas or ‘bioenergies’ by subscribing to our newsletter
- Vata imbalance can contribute to anxiety, fear and insomnia
- Pitta imbalance can cause anger and irritability
- Kapha imbalance can lead to lethargy and depression
A variety of different factors can cause this imbalance. These include:
- Diet and digestion
- The accumulation of toxins
- Lack of exercise
Ayurvedic treatment for depression and/or anxiety seeks to re-balance your biochemistry through the removal of toxins and restoration of healthy physiological functioning. A variety of tools is utilised to form a thorough diagnosis, which then informs treatment. The treatment protocol will focus on:
- Lifestyle modifications
- Prescription of kitchen and medicinal herbal medicines
- Instruction in gentle yoga postures and breathing exercises
- Prescription of Ayurvedic relaxing massage and detoxing treatments
To find out more about our Ayurvedic doctor consults click here.
For more information about how Ayurveda can assist in creating optimum health and well-being, click here.