“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”– Hippocrates
In Ayurveda, there are simple and valuable ingredients which give a variety of long lasting benefits. “Besan flour” is one of those ingredients. In general terms, Besan flour, also known as “Chickpea flour” in reference to the legume from which it is made, gives a nutty flavour. The flour can be used to create simple breads that stand on their own with few ingredients. Naturally, besan flour is higher in protein than wheat-based flours. It also delivers a boost of iron, magnesium and phosphorus to support and nourish tissues. Most importantly besan flour is gluten free.
Simple Besan flour pancake recipe:
- 1 cup of besan flour ( can purchase it from Indian grocery shops)
- 2.5 cups of water
- Finely chopped 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 tea spoon of cumin seeds
- 1/4 tea spoon of salt
- Black pepper for taste
- A non stick pan
- A mixing bowl and a wooden spoon
- Take the mixing bowl and add the besan flour, with the help of your wooden spoon, smooth out any lumps or bumps in the flour as much as possible.
- Add the water and stir it into a smooth batter.
- Add your onion, cumin, salt and pepper after wards.
- Start heating your stainless steel pan and add approximately 1/2 tea spoon of ghee.
- When ghee is warm, pour some of the mixture into the pan in order to create your pancake.
- Make sure to cook until it gets golden brown on both sides.
Serve with some fresh greens or some steamed vegetables to go along with it. Enjoy your delicious and healthy pancake.
Note: Add more water if needed to make your desired consistency. This recipe is only for one serving.
See here for more information about the Ayurvedic treatments available from the Ayurvedic Wellness Centre.